The new DASIG aims to deliver the following benefits for its members and the association as a whole, while making sure there is no disruption to the activities of existing SIGs:
- Provide opportunities to connect with like-minded academics who share the passion for data analytics, exchange ideas, insights and best practices and foster valuable relationships that can open doors to innovative collaborations.
- Create a collaborative space that complements existing SIGs, fostering synergies without detracting from their respective memberships, recognising the unique value each SIG brings to the AFAANZ membership base.
- Allow members to explore and develop their understanding and usage of cutting-edge technologies and tools in data analytics to enhance their research and teaching activities.
- Elevate members’ digital and analytical skills and enable them to stay ahead of the curve in the ever-evolving world of accounting, finance, and data analytics.
- Expose members to innovative teaching approaches and methodologies to integrate data analytics into accounting and finance curricula and prepare students for the data-driven job market by equipping them with essential analytical skills.
- Uncover new research tools and techniques that will allow members to incorporate both structured and non-structured data collected from a wide variety of sources to generate innovative and meaningful research findings.
- Provide opportunities to engage in setting professional standards in dealing with big data, including data ethics, privacy and security, as well as to engage with other respected organisations and accounting and finance associations across the globe to share knowledge and insights.
- Promote collaborative research initiatives that advance the understanding of the role of data analytics in accounting and finance, leading to impactful contributions to the academic community and industry.
- Provide access to a wealth of resources, case studies, real-world applications and industry expertise within the data analytics concepts to life.
- Facilitate the dissemination of academic research related to data analytics in accounting and finance, including best practices, methodologies, and innovative applications, to members, non-members, and the broader profession.
Call for submissions
for the inaugural DASIG Meeting to be held on Sunday June 30
at Cordis Hotel in Aukland
Submission Deadline: Monday, April 29, 2024
The inaugural Data Analytics Special Interest Group (DASIG) meeting at the 2024 AFAANZ conference is gearing up to be the ultimate hotspot for accounting and finance academics to focus their teaching and research brilliance on the importance of data analytics in accounting and finance by providing participants the opportunity to share and discuss ideas and research findings about how to integrate data and analytics tools into accounting and finance courses, as well as about how data analytics is used in the corporate world.
As such, if you have developed innovative datasets, case studies, game-changing online tools or other resources that are advancing pedagogy in the area of data analytics, either through Excel, Tableau, Alteryx, Power BI, Python or R and would like to share them with your colleagues and gain feedback, we are keen to hear from you. Also, if your research explores the frontiers of data analytics and you may have developed a research paper looking at the use of data analytics either in academia or in the corporate world, investigating data analytics topics such as, but not limited to, the use of large language models, blockchain, machine learning technologies and AI, this meeting is for you to showcase your research.
We are eagerly waiting for your creative and innovative proposals for either:
1) Mini TED talk like-sessions consisting of 15-20 minutes presentations sharing teaching ideas and experiences on integrating data analytics throughout curricula.
2) Mini brown bag like-sessions consisting of 20-30 minutes presentations sharing research ideas and findings related to the use of data analytics in the corporate world and describing the new directions that the accounting or finance profession is taking in the current big data business environment.
Both types of sessions will allow presenters to present and then engage with colleagues to advance knowledge in the area.
Please send your proposals to Dr Sorin Daniliuc (email@example.com) by 11:59 pm AEDT, Monday, April 29, 2024. The proposal should nominate the type of session proposed and include a short description of the session.
You will be notified of the outcome in early May. If accepted, you are expected to attend the DASIG meeting and share your expertise with meeting participants.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr Sorin Daniliuc (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To become a member of the Data Analytics SIG you will first need to become a member of AFAANZ, The fee for AFAANZ membership is AU$137.50 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$125 for applicants residing outside Australia. Note that membership is based on a calendar year.
The fee for the Data Analytics SIG is AU$22 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$20 for applicants residing outside Australia. Click on the purchase button to gain access to this SIG. You may also "Join this Group" further below to be keep up to date with the latest news and events.