The Auditing and Assurance Special Interest Group (AASIG) aims to develop a supportive environment for accounting academics in Australia and New Zealand who are engaged in, or wish to engage in auditing and assurance research and/or teaching. The AASIG aims to support research, education and foster relationships with practice in order to improve the contribution of academics to the auditing and assurance areas.
Members may include those with interests in all aspects of auditing, assurance including issues related to ethics, risk management and governance, whether in private, public or not-for-profit sectors.
The SIG comprises experienced and well-published academics, early and mid-career academics and PhD students. The main activities of the SIG include:
- providing a forum for continuing education in relation to the teaching of audit, assurance, ethics, risk management and governance issues
- providing a forum for continuing education with regard to current professional issues in relation to auditing and assurance
- disseminating information and communicating members’ research interests and emerging issues in research
- providing opportunities to present new research ideas and work-in-progress in supportive workshops with more time than is usually available at a conference
- providing opportunities to present emerging issues in research methodologies
- initiating, encouraging and facilitating collaborative research
- encouraging both new and established researchers in auditing and assurance research using a variety of methods
The Auditing and Assurance SIG meets on an annual basis immediately prior to the AFAANZ Annual Meeting to undertake the above activities.
SIG ANNUAL MEETING 2024
We will be holding our annual meeting on Saturday the 29th of June from 2pm to 7pm at the Cordis Hotel in Auckland.
This year there will be two panel sessions. The first will be “Mandatory climate related disclosure and assurance in New Zealand and the international context”. The second will be held jointly with the Financial Reporting SIG and be on the topic of the merger of the auditing and accounting standard setters in Australia (and implications for NZ). Drinks and finger food will follow this second panel from 6pm to 7pm.
Any questions please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The cost will be $60 for members and $95 for non-members. PhD students are free.
We look forward to seeing you there!
MEMBERSHIP & FEES
To become a member of the Auditing and Assurance SIG you will first need to become a member of AFAANZ. The fee for AFAANZ membership is AU$137.50 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$125 for applicants residing outside Australia. Note that membership is based on a calendar year.
The fee for the Auditing and Assurance SIG is AU$22 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$20 for applicants residing outside Australia. Click on the purchase button to gain access to the SIG group. You may also join now further below to be keep up to date with the latest news and events for this group.
Chair: Paul Coram, University of Adelaide
Deputy Chair: Nives Botica-Redmayne, Massey University
Secretary: Shan Zhou, University of Sydney
General: Xinning Xiao, Monash University
Tom Scott, Auckland University of Technology